Monday, March 12, 2007

Weekend in Mayrhofen



I deserted my pregnant wife and infant son for a couple of days, and spent the weekend skiing in Mayrhofen together with my parents (more correctly, skiing with my father, dining with both parents).
The lack of snow this year has been well documented, so I was a bit worried that we'd just be sliding over grass. However when on my arrival in the Zillertal on Saturday morning, it was snowing in the car park. I had intended to go up to the Hintertux glacier on Saturday, but given the weather conditions I stopped at Eggalm, a smallish area which in a normal year is connected to the rest of the Zillertal Arena. This is not a normal year, so the connecting runs were closed, but I wasn't all that bothered as the view was restricted to 20 metres most of the time, so it didn't matter which landscape I couldn't see ;-)
On Saturday evening I met up with my parents, and had a pleasant dinner with them. Heike and I had hoped to travel en famille so that Liam could see his grandparents again, but we couldn't get a room in their hotel. Instead, I got a single room outside of town, which would have been not so good for Liam.
On Sunday the weather was perfect, blue skies and sunshine. My father and I skiied all over the Penken area, and had a great time. I enjoy skiing with my dad, because he's just as impatient as I am, refusing to take rests or anything sensible like that. It meant we were both pretty tired by the end of the day, but as I'm unlikely to get skiing again until next year, it was worth it.

No comments: